Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: It's so easy..
From: "David Rodgers" <davrodgers@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:38:56 -0800

Ted,

Business manager or not, you obviously succeeded. And that's all that
matters. You were a better manager than you give yourself credit for.

I tell people that the path to success is to do something you love; do
something you're passionate about. Build some demand for whatever it is
you're producing. Above all, be honest, and hope for a little good fortune
along the way.

I was in public accounting for a number of years. I've seen can't miss
business plans fail. I've seen crazy schemes succeed. People with passion
can do the impossible. Passion doesn't guarantee success. But even failure
can be rewarding if you're doing what you love.

BTW, any good business manager needs to have an open mind about the
intangibles. Things that fuel passion but can't be quantified in dollar
terms. I remember back in the days when people used to berate Leica users
for spending so much on equipment. But there's something Leica is that other
equipment companies aren't. Ironically, those same people today think
nothing about paying even more for a digital camera that'll be outdated in
two years. I know the rationale. Save on film and processing. Discover your
mistakes right away.

I have a good friend who's a portrait photographer. He charges big bucks and
is always busy. He went digital last year. He spends countless hours dealing
with digital files now; hours that he used to spend photographing and
drumming up more business. Back in his film days when he finished a shoot he
just dropped the film off at the lab. He got back proofs the next day. He
knew film and the lab knew film. He rarely had problems. He spent quite a
bit on the normal touch up work. But the results he got were fabulous. Today
I hear again and again how much he's saving on film. But he spends more time
working with his files. For one things, he takes two to three times as many
pictures. But he doesn't get any more keepers. He used to save on film by
taking fewer shots; developing skills to make the most of the shots he took.
Another headache now, the lab doesn't always get things right. Color
matching is more of a problem. He spends more time in front of his computer.
He's tried to farm out the digital work, but it costs a lot to get the same
results he used to get with film. He spends less time relating to customers,
and building business. His costs are down, but so is his revenue. I'm a
friend and not a business manager, so I keep my mouth shut. Maybe someday
he'll get dialed in with digital. This guys passion isn't working at a
computer. It's photographing people.

DaveR