Subject: Re: [Leica] Michiel's PAW 9
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 21:53:57 -0800

Michiel Fokkema showed:
> This weeks PAW shows my wife who is watching the horse back riding of
> one of our daughters. I could have used a bit more dof but there was not
> much light.
>
> http://home.wanadoo.nl/michiel.fokkema/Fotografie/paw2004/9.html<<<,

Hello Michiel,
Sorry me old son, it just doesn't cut it at all as it's an exposure and
that's it. Actually there isn't anything to make any kind of subject sense.

You see here's what happened. You were there, you know what your good wife
is looking at, but your picture show's nothing of it or her properly.

We don't see her eyes or partial face with an eye illustrating she's looking
at something. And in your caption you say:

>>>I could have used a bit more dof but there was not much light.<<<<<

That maybe the case, but there wasn't a picture to start with, so DOF depth
is meaningless.

Please understand I'm not giving you a hard time, because quite frankly we,
everyone on this list, does the same thing at some time or other. Our "being
there, making an exposure, feeling the emotions, the environment of the
location, all create feelings" when we squeeze the shutter release that are
not recorded on film for others to see. "We" may feel it long after,
actually many years after,  but it's truly never on film although in our
feelings it is.

But we the photographer's feel them as though they're vividly captured on
film! Hey, we, all of us. I still for over 53 years do it on occasion,
usually in family situations but not on the professional side for some
reason, do it when I'm photographing some of my 10 grand children I get
hooked by what you've attempted to show in this photograph.

And mon ami it just doesn't happen, nor did it happen here.

I truly hope I've made myself clear and not ticked you off, but in absolute
truth this isn't a picture other than in your minds eye! Correct exposure?
Yes! Picture with some understandable content? No. Better luck next time, so
simply keep shooting your daughter riding, therefore shoot lots and get
better.

ted

Replies: Reply from Michiel Fokkema <michiel.fokkema@wanadoo.nl> (Re: [Leica] Michiel's PAW 9)