Subject: [Leica] Confession time!
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Thu Apr 8 08:05:03 2004

Jim Hemenway wrote:
> If I get desperate for $$$ and need to do weddings
> again, I'll buy a new digital.  Without one, every
> wedding is 40-60 hours of work.

Hi Jim,

Are you saying shooting wedding with film is
more work than with digital ? Can you elaborate ?

It seems to me that if you shoot negative film, you can
pretty much leave drop the film at the lab and pretty
much leave all the post-processing proof work to them.
Or do you all _all_ processing yourself ?

With digital, you need to do the color correction,
tonal adjustment, etc., etc. perhaps some sharpening
before you can give to a lab to print.  Maybe one day
of post-processing preparation, or two days if you
shoot a lot.

I am shooting a few weddings for real money this year,
and could either use digital or film (35mm or 6x7,
the latter mostly for formals).  I leave the choice
to the clients, with identical pricing for digital
vs. 35mm film, with a slight premium for the 6x7.
Interestingly enough all other weddings I booked so
far this year (4) all chose films.  That may change,
as I am introducing a new low-priced digital package:
I take the money, shoot, give client copy of CD and
say bye-bye.  2 to 4 weeks later, I send them a gift
of a well processed, matted 8x10, so that they can
realize the minium that could be done the jpg I gave
them.

Anyway, what are you and I doing differently that
it takes you 40-60 hours of work with film ?

Cheers,

- Phong

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Confession time!)
Reply from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] Confession time!)