Subject: [Leica] a new one OT alert...
From: sam at osheaven.net (Sam)
Date: Sun Apr 11 08:00:29 2004

Do you understand the difference between personal behavior and
legislated behavior? I've been both a smoker and, for the past 25 years,
a non-smoker. When I smoked, I would ask if smoking bothered the people
I was with before I lit up. Some gracious non-smokers would consent to
my smoking even though their clothing might take on the odor of
tobacco.  One might well conclude that such forbearance was the result
of my effervescent personality. Being in my presence while I puffed on a
cancer stick, surely causing that person to go home to loved ones
reeking of Havana, certainly is a testimonial to my pleasantness of
spirit. Which brings me to another matter. Militant non-smokers are
humorless. It stands to reason, of course, that anyone who wants to live
to be 112 years old would become surly at the mere hint of lung smoke. I
once lived in the same apartment building as an activist non-smoker. He
woke up each morning--rain or shine-- at 5am and went for a run. One
morning while jogging upstairs from his run, he dropped dead of a heart
attack. I was the person who found him. I do confess to this list that
there is a very dark side of me. For a moment upon seeing the body, I
had an almost uncontrollable temptation to place a lit cigarette in his
mouth--or his a*s.

Sam S