Subject: [Leica] equipment prices vs. countries
From: jean.louchet at inria.fr (Jean Louchet)
Date: Wed Apr 14 15:05:47 2004

Whaaaat?

Here (France) Superia1600 cost more than 8 euros (9 USD) each 36 exp
roll, more than twice the US price!

> B&H (and, I imagine, others) sells 36 exposure rolls
> of Superia 800 at $3.69 per.  20 pack of Press 800 is
> $59.80.
>
> Either way a very cheap and very good film.
>
> So is the Superia 1600.

In 2002 I bought (new) the CV 4.5/15mm in England for about 35% less
than the public retail price in France. My favourite shop guy in Paris
told me he had to buy CV lenses for more than the public retail price in
Britain. Apparently the situation is about the same for all new CV
equipment (lenses and cameras), and (to a lesser extent) with new Leica or
Nikon stuff. Most of my gear (leica and non-leica, new and second hand)
now comes from UK, Germany and the US. I don't understand what is
happening down here. Is there a monopoly situation abuse with the import
companies? Or another reason? In theory the taxes are about the same in EC
countries (between 15 and 20%) so this doesn't explain it.

Jean