Subject: [Leica] why is the R4 so cheap?
From: michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema)
Date: Fri Apr 30 05:21:11 2004

Rei Shinozuka wrote:

> i recently borrowed an R4 from bergen county camera, because my SL2MOT
> was visiting DAG to have its screen changed to non-split rangefinder.
> i just wanted anything that could mount 3-cam lenses.
>
> to my great surprise, i found the R4 rather likeable.
> the only thing i didn't really like
> was that in manual you had to watch the shutter speed numbers to the
> left and then down to see the set shutter speed.  as opposed to a
> match-needle or electronic equivalent that would just indicate + or -.
> the way the scale changed when you went from aperture to shutter
> priority was kind of neat.
>
> it's no M3 or even an M6, but why are these cameras so cheap?  you see
> them priced with 3-handles or even in the 2's.  i mean, you are getting
> a whole camera for around the same price as the M eyepeice magnifier.
>
> am i missing something?
>
> thanks,
>
> -rei

Hello Rei,

I used a R3 for years. It really has anything I need except that I'd
like to have TTL flash. The R3 is usually even cheaper then the R4. But
for me the R4 brings nothing extra because it is has no TTl flash. So
the next step would be a R5 or RE. These are more expensive so i sticked
with the R3 until i got some money and felt like it to upgrade.
Fortunate the R9 ws just out in the stores so the prices on the R8
dropped significant. I therefore bought a secondhand R8.
 From my point of view the R4 brings no benefit and therefore I can
understand why they are so cheap.

Best regards,

Michiel Fokkema