Subject: [Leica] why is the R4 so cheap?
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Apr 30 06:46:21 2004

Rei,
R4's are relatively cheap for reasons the other respondent mentioned; no
advantage over R3 with no TTL as the R5.

Even though most have been fixed, the mechanics and electronics are just
not reliable by Leica standards.  I have had my R4 overhauled once and
it has been back twice again for things like DOF levers that stick, foam
that fails, motors that won't work.

Another issue is that the screen is only so, so.  Compared to an SL or
R8 the screen is downright dim.

Last, many Leica shooters don't especially love exposure automation so
that capability on the R4 is nothing special.  So, the ability to add a
winder or motor is the only real advantage over an SL.  Given the fact
that SL's go for about $300 in OK condition the difference in price is a
non-sequitor.

With all my carping why do I still have an R4?  It is light by Leica
standards and so sits in my bag almost unused as a back up body just in
case on of the SL's(2) decide they need a break.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com