Subject: [Leica] Don's PAW 18, Friends, or how to love an early Summicron
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Apr 30 18:35:05 2004

Earlier this week we were talking about the early collapsible Summicron.
At a school concert I shot two rolls trying to challenge a radioactive
Summicron (serial # 9936XX, collapsible, cleaned by John).  For many
reasons this image stood out to me so it is my main image.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Summicron/elementarychorusFRIENDS

My first alternate is this image using Acros at 1/8 and F2 to stress the
system:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Summicron/aiselementarychorusduo

The following images aren't special as images, but do serve to
demonstrate the performance of the old Summicron in fairly challenging
situations.

Close in at F2.8-4 with a large light source just in image.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Summicron/elementaryleaderchorus

Medium shot at F2 at around 1/8:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Summicron/primarychorusVportrait_001

At near focus limit at F4.5 very strong light source just outside of
image:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Summicron/sophiemiddleschoolchoir

Showing the light source causing the flare.  Outside was a bright sunny
day, inside exposure with 1600 ISO was about 1/60 at F4.5.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Summicron/strongbacklightelementarychoird
irector

I hope that this series demonstrates that with the exception of modern
coatings, the 50 year old design holds up quite well when properly
cleaned up.

Comments always welcome.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com