Subject: [Leica] best all round 50 mm??
From: n.wajsman at chello.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun May 2 03:49:50 2004

Hi Ruben,

The obvious answer to your question is the 50mm Summicron. I have owned
it, as well as a Noctilux, a Voigtlander Nokton, and a Summilux (no all
at the same time). In the end, I ended up with the Summilux, as the best
compromise between speed, size, price (I bought it new but at a very
good price from a dealer in Germany) and image quality.

I would say it like this:
- for ultimate speed, obviously the Noctilux
- for best image quality, the Summicron (but you are limited to f2)
- for greatest flexibility, the Summilux
- the low cost option is a Nokton, but I hated its bokeh, and since I
shoot a lot with wide apertures, the bokeh is important to me.

Whatever you do, do not buy it in Copenhagen--every time I stop by
Photografica or Foto AV, I am horrified by the high prices.

Nathan