Subject: [Leica] "Normal" lenses
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon May 3 00:04:04 2004

On 5/2/04 6:55 PM, "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Ruben,
> The 35 Summicron has a curvature of field problem (instead of focusing
> on a plane, the lens focuses in a curved field).  Shooting people, this
> actually helps as it tends to isolate the subject.  In landscape work,
> the flatter field is better.
>
> Usually, by stopping down to F8-11 even a severly afflicted lens has
> enough DOF to render field curvature problems moot.
>
> Don
> dorysrus@mindspring.com

I have always been under the impression that the only lenses which focal on
a plane are macro lenses and this is one of the basic things which define
them as macro lenses not just that they are lenses which focus real close

All others would focus on a curve.  Say All things 5 feet away the edges of
a wall would be further away than 5 feet only the middle of the wall would
be 5 feet. Perhaps spherical.

Also a macro is not optimized at infinity (like me) but a lot closer in I'm
sure.  But not to the sub atomic level. Like "The Atom"!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon

New-improved