Subject: [Leica] Kodak BW400CN
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue May 4 15:25:15 2004

Matt  asked:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodak BW400CN

> >I love using Tri-X but it's a nightmare to scan.  My scanner has ICE so I
> >can remove any scratches, dust etc from colour negs and positives.
> >Kodak has BW400CN (replacement for T400CN) so can I scan this like any
> >other colour negative?
> >
> >How good is this film in comparison to Tri-X ?  I do reportage work so I
> >need to know if its suitable too?<<<<<<

Tina Manley responded:
 > It works fine but why not use one of the Fuji Press films and convert to
> B&W with software.  That way you have both color and B&W and you can use
> ICE.  Believe me, I've been glad to be able to tell a publisher "Why, yes,
> I do have that in color!"<<<<<

Hi Tina,

I shot the British Columbia Provincial high school basketball championships
with Fuji 800 and it was great given the not too bright lighting conditions
in the gyms. Then converted a bunch of frames to B&W and they printed out
beautifully. And with PShop it's such a piece of cake to produce B&W prints
with hardly blinking an eye it's too bad it wasn't around years ago.

But like you said about B&W and "do you have anything in colour?" It
happened in this case for a small interior weekly newspaper who wanted to
run a colour shot because their local team won. "Sure what size would you
like?" ;-)  Wham bam and there it was. :-)

ted