Subject: [Leica] Adam's PAW - wk 17
From: abridge at dcn.org (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue May 4 16:31:34 2004

I have to images for the week:

The primary involves "Dinger", the mascot of the Sacramento River Cats (a AAA
baseball team - see below). I'd like to say this was precisely planned - so I
will claim that!

<http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2004PAW/Wk17-TheTouch.jpg>

The alternate is of a young fan, ball glove in hand, waiting for a glimpse of
her hero's during the game. It's wonderful to see more and more young girls
playing and enjoying baseball.

<http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2004PAW/Wk17-JoyAtTheGame.jpg>

All images are TCN 400, Leica M6ttl, 35mm sumi, shot during dusk when the lights
are taking hold.

Comments are welcome.

Footnote: If you're not an American (or Japanese) you probably don't have a clue
about the different levels of baseball played here. The major leagues have a
system of "farm clubs" where young players gain experience and are groomed to
play in the majors. The highest level of the farm system is called "AAA". The
Sacramento River Cats are the AAA affiliate of the Oakland A's baseball club.
There are AA, A (upper), A(lower) and a few instructional leagues. At the AAA
level players make about $40,000 or so (depending on their contract.) To step up
to the "big club" means drawing the major league minimum which is about
$300,000. So there is real incentive to play well.

Hope this wasn't too boring for Americans or Japanese or those other fans of the
sport but since we are an international list I thought I'd attempt to add some
context.

AB

Replies: Reply from mcintyre at ca.inter.net (Jim McIntyre) ([Leica] Adam's PAW - wk 17)
Reply from n.wajsman at chello.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Adam's PAW - wk 17)