Subject: [Leica] Re: Ten years behind? I think not.
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Wed May 5 20:30:26 2004

Ted Grant writes:

> True and not in my 50 plus years have I ever encountered a news
> organization supplying Leica gear of any kind. Although many of the
> staffers carry their own M's.

Some of us freelancers, too.... <G>

> Well if you are a recognized Leica Pro user and registered with
> Leica NJ and you send in a "crash & burned" camera they'll turn it
> around as quick as possible or arrange for a loaner of some kind
> immediately.

Glad to hear about that.  CPS and NPS of course have those sorts of
things, but I don't know that I've ever heard Leica Pro mentioned in
that context.  Things to file for reference, #4142f6...

> Well I suppose you and I haven't covered the same events. ;-) If you
> see a guy working a major event with 3 R8 motor driven cameras and 3
> M7 Rapidwinder cameras that's me. Please say hello. :-)

Will do.  I'll have a couple of 4P's, a 6, and several 1n's... and a
big floppy hat with very little hair under it.

> Well common sense dictates simple reasoning why you wouldn't attend
> a Leica seminar or convention when you use 6 EOS bodies and lenses.

Well, I'm not much of a convention person for the last couple of
years, and it's only been for a couple of years that I actually got
into working with RF stuff.  I may show up sometime....

> Although I'm sure you may learn a thing or two about photography if
> you did attend the Leica Seminar.. :-)

Can ALWAYS stand to learn a thing or two....

> No offence intended, as we have
> a great time and leave ready to do battle. ;-) And always learn
> something we can use for later shooting.

Oh yeah....

>Today it's 3 R8's and lenses from 15mm to 400.

Absolutely.  I'm not arguing they don't work or that they're not
hella fine equipment -- what I am saying is that I think Leica took
the decision long ago not to aim at the pj market for SLR's, and that
I don't see them being able to reverse that on a large scale at this
late date.

> No there aren't the numbers of leica SLR users there once were at
> big international events, time and life changed with the advent of
> the Canon and Nikon gear for the sole purpose of shooting "sports &
> news."

Exactly.  Leica didn't move into that market, and N&C deliberately
aimed large resource banks directly at it, to good effect.

> And I've absolutely no problem with the
> ergonomics at all. They are swweeeeeeeeeetttttttt!;-)

Actually, I've never played seriously with an R8, because as I said
above, I love my 1n's and there's no chance I'm going to go for an R
anyway... why tease the animals?

> And trust me the lens quality isn't thrown away due to news
> print machine reproduction.

Now THAT would be a nice world to live in. <G>

One of these days....

> Despite there's some of us guys and gals still using them.
> ;-)

Greetings to a fellow dinosaur, then...I've always had the sneaking
suspicion the apatosaurus got a raw deal.... <G>

> And to some degree I think the "M
> mystique" has had an influence at Leica Germany in developing the R
> line because the simple reason of beating themselves against the
> Nikon / Canon dragon in an un-winnable battle.

Quite possibly.  When the niche is filled to overflowing, smart money
finds a different niche.

> A fine description indeed. :-) But these days you grab your digi cam
> to go grocery shopping! ;-)

That, too... but pj or not I still haven't quite got entirely to
grips with digicams.  I'll use them for assignments and deadline but
personal stuff... nah.  I just like film too much, I suppose.
               Albest,

                        Clayton

---
R.Clayton McKee                http://www.rcmckee.com
PhotoJournalist                   rcmckee@rcmckee.com
P O Box 571900                 voice/fax 713/783-3502
Houston, TX 77257-1900        pager 281/510-3588

Replies: Reply from timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton) ([Leica] Re: Ten years behind? I think not.)