Subject: [Leica] Expensive Leica service
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Sat May 8 01:58:24 2004

Nathan, and everybody else shocked by the high repair price I quoted,

Sorry, I was still thinking in Deutschmarks, I think this still happens
to everybody in the Eurozone every now and again.
The price converted into euros should have been around 300. Together
with the price at which the camera was offered
this came to a sum for which I could have bought a used R7 based on
average s/h prices here.

This was the price quoted for the CLA and check of the electronics in an
R4 mot electronic I was planning to buy
 I refused to have it done at that price as the vendor wasn't prepared
to take any responsibility for the condition of the goods
, maybe the camera was in that bad a condition to warrant the high
repair price.
What surprised me was the dealers statement that Leicas could now only
be repaired by Leica and no longer in accredited repair workshops.

Possibly this was a one-off case, my other Leicas are still running
perfectly after many years of use, except for the paint falling
out of the lettering of an M6 Titanium (first version) I've had no
problems at all.

Please excuse the mistake
Douglas

Replies: Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] Expensive Leica service)