Subject: [Leica] Thoughts on the Leica D2 and computer magazines
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Sat May 8 07:33:26 2004

Ernie, I'm part of a generation of television news photographers who were
there in the transition from 16mm newsfilm to video.  Obviously, when  shooting
film, we had optical viewfinders; my last news camera was a Cinema  Products
reflex with a 9.5-57 zoom lens, integral light meter, and other bells  and
whistles.  The thing weighed  about ten pounds with a full load of  film  (12
minutes),  the amp for sound, and a mike for natural  sound.
--
The Ikegami HL 33 that we transitioned to weighed less, had a BW  viewfinder,
with a moire pattern that let you know if things were exposed or  not.  It
had to be white-balanced after each power-up.  That was the  head of the camera.
 That was connected by a cable to a back pack  that weighed about 30 pounds
with the camera electronics in it, then a  separate VCR for another 25 pounds.
Some places used single crews,  but most had to go to two man crews for the
"minicams."
--
Today, you'll see TV news cameramen with video cameras comparable in  size
and weight to the CP16R that I was using when I shot docs at  WWL-TV.  Some are
even using the much smaller Panasonic Digital  Video Cameras (with Leica
Lenses).
--
My point here, is that the Leica-sonic D2 camera is still a  transitional
machine.  There's lots of excellence there, but in another  year or so, we'll be