Subject: [Leica] Best known photo ?
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Tue May 11 13:20:12 2004

B.D.,

It doesn't matter because Capa was the first to have such a kind of war
photo published. Being the first, he shook up viewers so much that they
looked at war differently from that moment on. It only proves his vision and
artisity. The photo being real or fake doesn't change anything to that.

This said, I really don't consider "a picture being not faked" as important
for my appreciation of it. One can ask himself even if any picture is
"real", since it is always an interpretation by the one that took it as in:
I might see a same scene in a totally different way than you will. Not even
speaking of framing, exposing, printing, and so on.

One thing I can assure you though: these days, there isn't any
professionally taken picture, that isn't edited digitally in one way or
another, even if you don't notice it (which is for me a sign that the
editing has been done as should)

Which is (IMVHO) a good thing: it only leads to stronger and better images,
that will tend to really show what's in the photographer's mind.

So far for the Capa part.

Since you are the first one that gets me to write more than a few well meant
lines, also something on "the disappearing of analog in the favor of
digital" fear (referring to the "where will we be in 10 years..." thread).

Even if I have a digital camera (that you hardliners call a looka-leica, or
pana-leica), even if I really adore working with it because it's the most
ergonomical piece of digital P&S I've ever worked with, and because it has a
very good lens (which is for me the most important part of a camera), and
even if I'm of a generation that seems to have less problems with accepting
the fact that with every new thing that appears, an older thing will
disappear (I consider it a real bless to live in an era that will turn out
to be an incredible turning point, not only for photography), even if most
professional work I do (with professional photographers) is digital ATM,
even then, I'm truly convinced that analog photography will never disappear.
I even tend to buy more and more "classic" analog cameras ATM, because of
the beauty and craftmanship they radiate, and the beauty I find in the
imperfection of the images they produce.

There is already a tendency in advertising (sorry, it's what I do for a
living) to return to analog. Simply because images are getting so perfect
ATM that they start lacking (what I cannot better describe as) humanity.
Also because all photo's start to look alike.

The lenses are super hard, the light flat or unnatural, and most PS editors
remove all irregularities in such a way that we don't see humans anymore,
but puppets without any character. As already said, beauty lies not within
perfection IMO, on the contrary.

True, digital is faster and is/will get less expensive (talking about middle
and large format here, not 35mm), but these are only factors that apply in
the kind of market situation that we have seen over the past years, being
one of true economical crisis. Things are starting to revive a bit, and this
will (hopefully) lead to more means for better and more distinguished
results.

Finally, please don't consider me a n00B. It's not because I (might) haven't
read all the stuff you have, that I don't have a clue what I'm talking
about. I suppose a considerable amount of years at art schools and some
personal interest for the subject have aided to that.

Know that I would find it truly a pity if all the above written would lead
to the kind of discussions "old" and "young" folks have, where and the
"old", and the "young" are both convinced that they are right.

After all, what is more beautiful than passing your enthousiasm on to a next
generation in such a way that the latter think they found truth themselves?
;)

Sincerely,
Philippe

BTW: I'm 38 years old, but will always be young at heart.

---