Subject: [Leica] Best known photo ?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue May 11 22:38:54 2004

>snippet> If that one shot were fake, it still stands in for the horrors of war,
> for the thousands of Popular Front soldiers who died, etc.
>
> (But I'm not a journalist and have no particular investment in
> photographs as truth or evidence.)

The keyword this is being used here which I think is a problem is "stands".
People see this photo they assume it's real. Sure looks real to me!
It "Stands" for a picture of a guy getting killed. On the battlefield.
His life has just ended: NOW.
In their wildest imagination do they think someone would try to pass this
off on them as real having somehow faked it. Just become of some symbolic
value it might have or some other deeply philosophical - political reason.
Street theatre - performance art.
They find out it was faked I don?t they they'd have much of a sense of humor
about it. Or the people who were behind such a fake.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon

New-improved