Subject: [Leica] Sharp lenses, who cares?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri May 14 17:29:34 2004

On 5/14/04 5:23 AM, "Christopher Williams" <leicachris@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> I tried the 24-85 AF-S also. Found out easily you get what you pay for.
> Crap. One of the worst Nikon zooms, next to the 24-120. Looked terrible with
> the F100, okay with the D100 only due to Nikon Capture sharpening. But the
> prime Nikon lenses like the 35-70/2.8, 17-35/2.8, and 28-70/2.8 are fine
> performers. Favorite Nikon lens is the 85/1.8.
>
> Take my '70s 35 & 50 Summicrons any day over other lenses. I'll just have to
> move forward, move backwards for zooming.
>
> Chris

There are 2 24-85's from Nikon. One is the 2.8-4 and I don?t think that one
is silent wave so that would be not the one you are talking about. That one
is widely considered to be a bomb. (not good)

The Nikon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G AF-S
Autofocus Lens is of course silent wave and the one you are probably talking
about. It is widely raved about. Both top Nikon gurus on the web both rave
about it and use it. Moose and Thom. Moose says he doesn?t use the fixed 2.8
anymore but uses this one instead. As it is half the weight and cost of the
2.8 and Moose is a landscape guy not a photojournalist that certainly makes
sense. But I think it also makes sense to a general commercial photographer.
I've used this lens more than any other lens this year Leica or Nikon I'm
afraid I'd have to say. For ten years I've scorned zooms but this year this
is my favorite lens. I certainly would not use it if the results I get with
it were anything less than astonishing. I'm excited to compare the results I
get digitally from it against the results I get with my Leica M glass on the
Epson body. I'm expecting to have Leica become my most used system again at
that point.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon