Subject: [Leica] Scanning silver halide films - which one scans best? - OT
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon May 17 17:49:57 2004

On 5/17/04 5:04 PM, "Jeffery Smith" <jls@runbox.com> wrote:

> I'm beginning to agree that XTOL is sort of the democratic version of
> D-76. While D-76 might not be the best developer for any one film, it
> sure gets a B+ on just about every common film I used it for. It seems
> that one is safe using XTOL, HC-110, and D-76. Everything else is a bit
> of a....risk.
>
> Jeffery Smith
> New Orleans, LA

I'd put HC-110 in the demonic not democratic category.

And I suspect a vitamin C tab in your liter tank of D76 1:2 (not 1:1) would
give results better than Xtol as I'm much more fond of Metol than Phenidone
as a basic developing agent working with the vitamin C. Better edge effects
making for a sharper looking image kind of like an unsharp mask effect.
Amongst others.
Some friends have played around with this liking their results but I've not
seen them.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon