Subject: [Leica] First it was 50 first, now it could be what 50
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Fri May 21 12:13:48 2004

How far a lens remains coupled depends on how the camera's rangefinder
limits are adjusted and how close the lens will focus. Most M cameras
are adjusted to 0.65 to 0.75 meters except early M3 cameras which only
went to 1.0m (most but not all of these M3s can be adjusted to 0.7m).
Most normal and wider M lenses stopped at 1.0 meter until the M2 came
along. 0.6 to 0.7 meters since then with the exception of the extended
range provided by the 15/8, 21/4, 21/3.4 and early 21/2.8. One other
exception were the goggled 35s (meant for M3s) which went to 0.65m on a
body that was adjusted to 1.0m.

Your M3 has its limits adjusted to almost 0.5m. Please check and make
sure the arm is resting on the adjustable stop when a lens is not
mounted. YOU DO NOT WANT THE ARM BEING STOPPED INTERNALLY. It is a
simple adjustment if it is necessary.

John Collier

Message from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] First it was 50 first, now it could be what 50)
Message from wharting at verizon.net (bill harting) ([Leica] First it was 50 first, now it could be what 50)