Subject: [Leica] Hey, now explanation of the Constitution
From: kitmc at acmefoto.com (Kit McChesney)
Date: Fri May 21 15:53:00 2004

Don--

I could say that I stand corrected, but ... How can New Hampshire and North
Dakota even begin to hold forth against states like California and New York?
Or Illinois? Or Florida? Yes, all states have two senators, but not all
states have two representatives. Those are determined by population size.
Witness all the redrawing of districts of late, all meant to tip the balance
to this or that outcome, to favor this or that party. The senate
representation is an all but neutral measure of a state's importance in
electoral college votes. You may as well throw that out.

Of course, the electoral college is rendered moot by all those hanging
chads! Fugeddaboudit! :)

But the electoral college was indeed designed to keep the popular vote from
determining the outcome of the elections. Maybe my left-wing history
education taught me that. Now where is my Howard Zinn ... ???

Kit