Subject: [Leica] Epson digital, or what?
From: banacloj at mac.com (Juan Gea-Banacloche)
Date: Mon May 24 14:03:49 2004

 From the amateur perspective, I am not sure cost is a decisive issue.
If you like your hobby, and you like the experience of digital, you
don't really need to run the numbers to decide what makes more sense. I
bought a digital camera in 2001 (Olympus 2100UZ), and I had a great
time with it. I did not "need" a digital camera, but it was great to
see the results immediately, correct the exposure as needed, realize
someone had their eyes closed, and so on.

Since then, I have "come back" to film (B&W with vintage Leica M, back
to developing my own negatives, and slides with SLRs) and my wife uses
the Olympus. When we go on a trip, she has her pictures up on the web
the night we return, while I have to wait a week or more for the slides
to come back, to discover that many of them are improperly (or, if you
want to be merciful, suboptimally) exposed or framed. And the ones that
are good enough to show are hard to show (projector, screen, and so
on).

It does not matter to me, because I enjoy the whole experience, but I
cannot say it is very rational. A projected slide gives me a different
experience than a print or an image on the computer screen, I like that
experience and I keep shooting slides. And I enjoy developing, scanning
and printing B&W. Because they are my hobbies, I practice them any way
I want. I hope there is no "right" or "wrong" way of being an amateur
photographer.

The nice thing about digital is that it keeps getting better and
cheaper, so the longer you wait to jump in, the better gear you will
get. The "need" to upgrade equipment is illusory, and I wonder if it
will sink in in the mind of the consumers or not. For computers, you
had the newer software always demanding faster CPUs, more memory and
bigger hard drives, but I don't know what will make my friends upgrade
their 5 megaixel Canon P&S any time soon, no matter how much Canon
would like them to.

Regarding the initial question of what camera to use, and the use of
Leica M lenses on the digital Epson, maybe someone can answer this
question: will not be the sensor the limiting factor? I mean that, the
same way you probably need the best film to show the differences
between Leica lenses and other lenses (in terms of resolution), it may
be that, at the current level of the sensors, the lenses cannot really
show their true capacity.

For me the most amazing digital feature (and absent from all consumer
digicams) is the low light capability. To be able to shoot at ISO
800-1600 with that level of quality must be great. It is certainly
expensive.

Regardless, I think that, for an amateur, if one likes the experience
he/she gets with his/her hobby now, the reasons to change should be
related more to the heart than to the brain.