Subject: [Leica] Epson digital, or what?
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Mon May 24 08:17:39 2004

Right now for an amateur digital is very expensive. The required
investment is large and the usable life of the product short. I do not
mean how long it is available though that is important ? heck I can
still buy accessories for an Nikon F3  and that is a flash in the pan
compared to an M? but how long you can get it easily serviced and
repaired. Some argue that they have most of the special computer
equipment already. True but I have all my film equipment already too. I
just do not have to replace it every five years.

I shoot between fifty to a hundred rolls a year. Some years quite a bit
more but never any less. I shoot chromes and about 30% are keepers (no
I am not an amazing photographer; the standards are different when you
shoot mostly family). This adds up to $1000 to $1500 CAN a year in film
and processing.

That is a good deal of money but could I do digital any less expensive?
I don't think so. Again assuming a similar output, I would be making
600 to 1500 prints a year. As I would no longer be projecting, I may
have to make multiple copies so maybe add another 1/3. All of a sudden
it doesn't look any cheaper to me unless I go to cheap cheap dime store
3x5s. Which, if I wanted that, why would I be shooting with Leicas in
the first place?

I am not arguing against digital. I am just pointing out that it is not
necessarily the easy solution that everyone makes it out to be. As a
pro? Sure, no brainer. Heck, fifty rolls a week and fewer keepers and
we are talking huge savings. But amateurs are a different matter, at
least those of you in my boat.

Does this mean I am not going to go digital? No I think I eventually
will. First there will have to be a decent rangefinder digital with
proper controls. I just do not like SLR cameras. The Digilux 2/Lumix ?
is very close but the EVF kills it for me. Second there will have to a
be a way of printing slides that matches or almost matches the quality
of a straight 35mm transparency. Both of these are getting closer all
the time.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from abridge at dcn.org (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Epson digital, or what?)
Reply from banacloj at mac.com (Juan Gea-Banacloche) ([Leica] Epson digital, or what?)