Subject: [Leica] CLE - was M5
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Tue May 25 18:26:15 2004

my first M mount was a CLE, a NOS example from bergen county camera.
i liked it very much.  but when i eventually "downgraded" to an
M6, i was hooked by the fluid mechanical shutter, the ratcheted
film advance, the heft and solidity of the M.  the CLE's shutter
seemed to crack when it went off, and the electronic "touch"
sensor for metering always felt a little iffy.  and that old M6
was itself outdone by the MP.

as to the CLE's metering, i can't explain why they shut it off in
manual mode.  a lot of the other cameras of the time (even the minolta
SLRs i think) used an LED version of match
needle, where the light level triggered one number as solid red
and your setting was another LED which blinked, or vice versa.
or like the F3, they gave you a plus and minus indicator.
the CLE's book's suggestion of switching from "A" to your shutter
speed was not a helpful one, but acknowledged that someone figured
out that meterless manual demanded some sort of explanation.

-rei

--
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com
Ridgewood, New Jersey