Subject: [Leica] Susan Sontag
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Wed May 26 06:08:54 2004

My only comment on this wildly OT thread:

We had a local situation where children were being abducted and raped.
As the children were not being murdered as well, they was a hazy
description of perpetrator. Naturally everyone including the police
were outraged. Supposedly a police officer said they did not care what
condition the perpetrator might be in when he was turned over to the
police. A pair of earnest citizens captured a man matching the
description and over the course of an afternoon mercilessly beat and
tortured him. During a break in the proceedings the "perpetrator"
escaped by crawling out of a second story window. He was hospitalized
for a long long time, will never walk again and has severe brain
damage. It also turned out that they had the wrong man. The right man
was arrested after some good old fashion police leg work.

It is easy to invent imaginary situations where the outrage builds to
seemingly justify outrageous acts. However real life is often not so
simplistic and straight forward. Though I have never been arrested or
detained, I am grateful that I live in a society where abuse and
torture are not encouraged.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from raikorho at uusikaupunki.fi (Raimo K) ([Leica] Susan Sontag)
Reply from timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton) ([Leica] Susan Sontag)