Subject: [Leica] new 50/1.4 M lens
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu May 27 20:47:32 2004

On 5/27/04 12:56 PM, "Dan Cardish" <leicaman@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> There was a time when I jumped at the chance to buy a new Leica lens.  I
> bought the 35/1.4 asphereic even though I had a perfectly good 35/1.4, and
> I bought the 90 APO even though I had a perfectly good 90/2.8.  And there
> was a time that, even though I have two perfectly good 50s (a 50 DR and an
> older 50 Summilux) when I would do cartwheels in my attempt to get the
> first sample of the new 50 to reach my local dealer.
>
> But now I'm not the slightest bit tempted.   Probably because of the
> emergence of digital.
>
> Just my own thoughts.
>
> dan c.

You attitude may change Dan after you get the Epson.
The printer yes but also the camera.
..... Which takes Leica M glass.
Me I've got the Summicron and "Summicron" is the "mark" of Leica as far as I
go and I should know. But there is no logic in that statement of course.
Plus I also have a Noctilux with I'm dying to use digitally.
Plus the 50 collapsible Elmar 2.8 is at the top of my short list. And it is
relatively cheap.  As it is the cheapest lens made by Leica. And the one I
want the most. After the 90 collapsible.
I hope they don?t tell us you cant use collapsibles with the Epson!

The camera I used first was a Voigtl?nder Vito bl which had a color-scopar
50mm 2.8 lens. I used it for years and "2.8" as been still instilled for me
as "wide open". It has a kind of resonance for me. I'd not feel contrasted
with it to put it mildly. And my camera would be with me much more often im
certain.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon