Subject: [Leica] FS: Noctilux
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Fri May 28 11:25:30 2004

John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca> wrote:

> I tried out the current Summilux at the LHSA spring shoot and I was
> pleased with the results. Only two things annoyed me. The
> auto-collapsing hood and that there was no focusing tab. The new 'lux
> solves both and may even match the performance of my 35/1.4 Asph. That
> is nothing to sneeze at.
>
> I love(d) my Noctilux but the 1m close focus limit is something I was
> constantly finding myself fighting. Once or twice is no problem but
> constantly means I like to work closer with my 50s. If it isn't fitting
> the bill, it has to go.

These mechanical/handling issues are a bigger deal than many people think.  I replaced a 250mm Telyt (late) and 280mm f/4.8 (on Televit) with the 280 f/4 APO mostly because of mechanical and handling issues.  The fact that the APO is breathtakingly sharp is a bonus.  I like the imaging performance but it's not the main reason I made the switch.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com