Subject: [Leica] FS: Noctilux
From: feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio)
Date: Fri May 28 11:53:23 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 11:43, B. D. Colen wrote:
> Why, oh why, don't most people get the fact that the Noctilux is a
> special purpose lens. It is NOT a "standard" lens, as are most 50s. It
> is designed for one thing - capturing images when nothing else will
> capture them. It's big; it's bulky; it's heavy; it doesn't focus close
> enough; it has weird bokeh; and it has non-existent depth of field. But
> as Ted and some other folks have demonstrated, but there is no light,
> the Noctilux supplies it. So if you find that you regularly miss shots
> because you need that extra stop, it makes great sense. But if you don't
> shoot that way, a Summicron, Summilux - or Nocton - makes much more
> sense.
>
> B. D.

Well, I DID need a super high speed lens that will shoot in no light
and I still look at my Noct negatives and think the world of that piece
of glass. I just couldn't deal with the ergonomics of it and like Doug
Herr said that can be a deal breaker.

Feli

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] FS: Noctilux)