Subject: [Leica] Film Refrigeration/Condensation Question
From: rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Sun Jun 6 09:31:32 2004

When I'm out shooting I remove the film from its canister before I go,
carrying the cartridges in ziplock bags, small yellow film cartridge
boxes or in different pockets of my bag or pants.

I'll soon be taking a car trip through some fairly hot parts of the U.S.
southwest for a week or two; I've got a cooler that plugs into an
electrical socket in my car I intend to use to store both unexposed and
exposed film.  It seems to maintain a temperature of around 50F, plus or
minus a degree or three.

I have kept film in a freezer at home, in its original boxes and/or
plastic canisters, and always allow at least three or four hours to
elapse before opening a canister so as to avoid condensation on the film
surface.

However, I suppose the concerns regarding avoidance of condensation on
the film surface could be a bit different if I'm moving un-canistered
exposed or unexposed film to/from the cooler on a daily basis.

I've checked the archives and haven't found a response to my concern:
refrigerator induced condensation.  I try not to worry about minor
problems, but on the other hand I don't want water streaks or droplets
on my images.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--Bob