Subject: [Leica] in memoriam: Sal DiMarco, Jr.
From: rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Sun Jun 13 19:34:08 2004

I'm scanning through some LUG digests before leaving for New Mexico in
the morning and what do I see but this sad news.

Sal was the perfect gentleman, always helpful and with a fascinating
storehouse of tales.  If you never heard him tell stories of
photographing Lyndon Johnson...while trying to twist his Philadelphia
twang into a Texas drawl....you really missed something.

He was the real thing.

The last time I saw him was a little over a year ago....I was in
Philadelphia on a case, and we met for supper.  His stories.....and
tips...are not to be forgotten.

He suggested if I had time on the way to the airport the next day I stop
for some shots of the hulk of the steamship S.S. United States, then
tied up in Philadelphia, and I did, although I wish I had been able to
get a higher angle as he thought I might:

http://www.bobbaron.com/SS_US/page1.html

Funny thing: within the last couple of weeks I came across some of my
contact sheets from the fifties, and there at a berth in Manhattan is
this same ship, much more splendid to be sure.

Now if I could only find the @$#! negatives!

If there is to be a memorial scholarship fund or project I'd like to be
a part of it.

Be back in a week or so.

--Bob Baron / Oklahoma City