Subject: [Leica] New Leica and Contax Goodies
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Tue Jun 8 07:48:07 2004

No, Richard the whole thing turned out to be pretty much a flash in the
pan. Leica, as we have now learned to expect didn't (weren't able to)
show their Digital R8/9 back although, again typical, the prototypes in
Solms are at an "advanced stage of development". Contax was
just selling off the N1 as a set with several lenses at a greatly
reduced price. Konica/Minolta were very uninformed about future
developments, and had never even heard of a Minolta CLE. Pentax had a
very lonely young lady rep,all by herself with a couple
of digital thingies (I gather that Pentax has almost lost the interest
of most users), Nikon were showing scanners with great success.
The most interesting stuff was in the way of accessories and
"peripheral" products - particularly Novoflex, and to a lesser extent, D?rr
had some fascinating stuff. Novoflex were showing adapters in all shapes
and sizes, tripod heads, fine focus macro gear.
I bought myself a small daylight "light table" for viewing slides on
from D?rr, beautifully made and quite reasonably priced.
The highlight on their stand was an aluminium case containing a compact
portable table-top close up "studio" with all the lights, brackets
 and reflectors, and a curved plastic background for eliminating
shadows. All in a case the size of a typical attache case (brief -case).
Also loads of  new photo-luggage, plastic, but built as if you could
drive ten ton trucks over it - very impressive.

Sorry that there was nothing as spectacular as there seemed to be in my
first mail, but this seems to be the way of things in the
realms of photo products and the way they are announced.
regards
Douglas