Subject: [Leica] Colour Management ?????
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Fri Jun 11 05:58:20 2004

Hello everyone,

Help!! This is probably a question that would be of interest to anyone
starting scanning, posting and printing.
It also serves as a criticism of the manufacturers of  scanners and
printers, they all seem to assume that we are already experts
when we buy their products. The "Just load the software, plug it in, and
then of course you know what you are doing, or you wouldn't
have bought it" mentality of Handbook authors.

The more I read about it the more confused I get.
What should  the colour management parameters for the following
conglomeration of equipment be ?
1) Monitor (at present TFT, a CRT is on the shopping list)
2) Nikon V ED 35mm scanner
3) Canon 9900F Flatbed
4) HP Photosmart Printer

My intention is , rather obviously, to get prints, and images for the
web, with identical colours, contrast and brightness as the slides I'm
scanning.

There are so many options for each piece of equipment and the
corresponding software that it's so easy to get totally lost.
Are Nikon or Canon profiles compatible/identical  with Adobe PS Elements
2.0 or Arcsoft Photostudio 5 ? is  sRGB some kind of  general setting
that
serves all other RGB profiles ?
Am I confusing  Color Spaces and Color Profiles ?

TIA for your help
Douglas

Replies: Reply from jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden) ([Leica] Colour Management ?????)
Reply from lea at whinydogpress.com (lea) ([Leica] Colour Management ?????)