Subject: [Leica] Noctilux ramblings
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Tue Jun 15 21:02:05 2004

Well as you all know I recently sold my Noctilux to finance the
purchase of the new Summilux. I thought I would post my thoughts on the
Noctilux before the new lens comes and colours my views.

The Noctilux is not sharp wide open. The Noctilux is not a light lens
by most measures and is simply gargantuan by M standards. The Noctilux
does not focus close and its focusing is slow and ponderous. The
Noctilux vignettes wide open in a manner more reminiscent of a lens of
the late 1800s rather than one designed just a few decades ago. The
Noctilux's bokeh varies from creamy smoothness ? perhaps we should
judge cream by how closely it resembles the Noctilux? ? to disturbing
and nausea inducing at certain subject/foreground distances.

So what the hell gives? Why is it a simply stunning piece of glass?

First and foremost it is the most flare proof piece of glass I have
ever used. I have photos with large bright light sources right behind
the subject and every hair is clearly defined and the subject is as
crisp and clear as if you were photographing on cloudy bright day with
a scrim. It took my breath away and I am going to miss that quality the
most. Yes, it was so good in this regard that I find it difficult to
believe I will ever find its match again. I won't complain if the new
Summilux comes close but I will be surprised.

Contrary to popular report, the Noctilux is excellent stopped down. It
is as crisp and clear as most other normals out there. Perhaps the
corners are not quite as crisp as the Summicron ? when both are at f2
to f2.8 and enlarged to four feet by six feet ? but, I hate to break
the news, this just doesn't matter in handheld photography. Handheld is
all I do and that is why I use M cameras (your habits and needs may
differ). Once I tried the Noctilux, my Summicron went on the shelf
permanently.

On my Rapidwinder equipped M6TTL, the Noctilux balances very nicely and
is a joy to use. Perhaps not a joy to have hanging off the neck as you
are walking about but, once up to the eye, everything falls into place.
The controls are nicely weighted and stay where they are put.

It is remarkable just how far that aperture ring turns! It never seems
to stop. If you can see the subject then you can get a decent handheld
shot with 400 ISO film. Yes it vignettes badly wide open but it really
does not show in the photos as the light conditions tend to be very low
when you are at f1. Yes it is not remarkably sharp wide open but the
ability to use fine grained low speed film makes up for this. Done
right it produces drop dead gorgeous, take your breath away photos when
everyone else has had to switch to flash.

So why did I sell it?

The main reason is that i found myself constantly struggling with the
1.0 meter focus limit. I needed to be closer. The photo I saw in my
mind required me to be closer. It was very frustrating as it would only
have to be a little bit closer as I never had the same trouble with the
0.7 meter limit of the Summicron. I hoped that over time i would adjust
but after two years of the Noctilux as my normal of choice, it is time
to admit defeat.

The other reason is that my back has suffered from years of strain
doing mechanical work and it is now not a pleasure to carry a heavy
camera and lens around my neck. No searing shooting pains, yet, but my
one arm goes numb. I have tried various exercises which help relieve
the problem once it has developed but none have solved the problem. I
hope to be actively photographing until I die and, if losing a stop now
will help down the road, that is what I am going to do.

I have tried and sold on many pieces of M glass over the years. All
have gone with no regrets. I am not a sentimental man. If it does the
job, I keep it. If it doesn't, it goes. There is a magical quality
about shots into the light using the Noctilux. My lips purse into a
silent "oh" when I look at them. This was a tough call where my emotion
and reason struggled with the obvious. While there is no doubt it had
to go and I will not be buying another, I will miss the Noctilux.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] Noctilux ramblings)
Reply from mitch.zeissler at verizon.net (Mitch Zeissler) ([Leica] Noctilux ramblings)