Subject: [Leica] Don's PAW 25 de plane, de plane
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed Jun 16 08:51:44 2004

At 10:58 PM -0500 6/15/04, <robertmeier@usjet.net> wrote:
>Don,
>
>The 21 SA repeals the laws of optics?   Something circular in the corner of
>the frame does not become an oval with the 21 SA?   Please post a picture to
>show this miracle.
>
>Bob
>

>>  As you already know, the 21 SA has just about zero distortion: you can
>>  put something in the corner and it will look normal.  One of the reasons
>>  I put up with the relative slowness and the lack of metering with an M
>>  is the absolute fabulous performance of this wide angle.
>>
>  > Don

Puhleeeze.

'Distortion in a lens' in common usage refers to linear distortion,
not perspective distortion. With respect to linear distortion, the SA
is about as good as any lens of this focal length is or has been.

If you want to talk about other 'distortions', you should start out
from the primal fact that imaging an infinite 3 dimensional space
onto a limited 2 dimensional space will produce many types of
distortions. These are not per se lens distortions, but distortions
arising out of the above parameters.

All lenses produce distortions; the SA just produces way less linear
distortion than most of that focal length.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Message from robertmeier at usjet.net (robertmeier@usjet.net) ([Leica] Don's PAW 25 de plane, de plane)