Subject: [Leica] RE: Now casual v. serious photography
From: ljkapner at cox.net (Leonard J Kapner)
Date: Wed Jun 23 11:34:04 2004

Hi B.D.

Yours is a very thoughtful response, and I agree with most, if not all of
it.

In my opinion, casual photography is a very different enterprise than
serious photography, which in the hands of an expert practitioner can be a
true craft. We should not allow ourselves to be confused about how to
discriminate one from the other.  My approach to and intent in photographing
my grandchildren at play or my family gathered at holiday time is very
different from my ongoing field work documenting the often thin margins
between civilization and nature, for example. There is little point in
attempting to debate the relative value of either casual or serious, as that
is for the practitioner and his/her consumer/clients to assess.

Democratization of instant communication through technology seems to have
made this image capture situation what it is today...little islands of
excellence on a vast sea of mediocrity.  Edwin Land took a major step in the
'40s with Polaroid technology, and it had a mostly profitable 50 year run
until the pixel showed up. I have seen a ton of crap documented with the
Polaroid medium, as well as some incredibly interesting LF Polaroid artwork.
The same goes for digital.

Last year, as Trudy and I were wandering "gallery canyon" in Santa Fe NM we
came upon a gallery specializing in large (>20 x 30") digital prints. The
ones I studied were recognizable as photographs, but they were more...they
were a new form of artwork: Arresting, compelling images, with strong and
recognizable content, craft, emotion and meaning. This experience opened my
eyes for the first time to the possibilities of mastering serious digital
printing, and I hope I'm granted the energy and time to learn how to do this
well.

I yearn to do more serious photography than I have the time to do at
present. That's one of the reasons I'm transitioning into full retirement. I
want to devote myself to photographic essay projects that are personally
important to me - and I have been relatively unsuccessful in doing so on a
time-shared basis.

I suspect this is also true for a lot of us LUGers...

Len
Leonard J Kapner
E-Mail: ljkapner@cox.net
Tel: (310) 377-5060 / Mobile: (310) 291-0140