Subject: [Leica] RE: While it is happening (B. D. Colen)
From: ljkapner at cox.net (Leonard J Kapner)
Date: Wed Jun 23 11:46:44 2004

Sonny,

I understand the point of your response, and I agree with it, not for me,
but for you. I am not offended by your response, not only because you meant
no offense but because this is a conversational discussion and ordinarily, I
have a rather thick skin.

My personal preference is to isolate the important content of an image
through sharp focus and proper tonal placement. That works for me in what I
do. It is usually, but not always, the center of my concern when making a
photograph.

Last year, I took a week-long workshop in Santa Fe on "seeing" given by a
notable academic photographer, John Weiss. Over and over, he made the exact
point you are making: Go ahead and break "the rules"... stretch yourself and
see what happens!

I have been doing more of that than ever before, and the behavior is
certainly liberating. I like my results best though, when I'm in my "comfort
zone" of sharp focus and correct exposure.

Sonny, perhaps I need more creative therapy? :-)

Len
Leonard J Kapner
E-Mail: ljkapner@cox.net
Tel: (310) 377-5060 / Mobile: (310) 291-0140