Subject: [Leica] Re: B&W Films/Developers
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Thu Jun 24 03:40:57 2004

Walker:

>I like B&W films and would prefer to scan the negatives (my
>scanner will do 2400 dpi)

I would suggest as fine grained as you can find.

I have no direct experience with scanning at 2400 dpi, but I've heard lots
of stories about grain aliasing when you scan at close to the resolution of
the grain.  You may find scanning at 4000 dpi yields better results for the
grain.  That said, I realize you can't wave a magic wand and change your
scanner.  Just wanted to let you know that your system may give you fits.
Don't let it drive you insane.  :)

Here's a link that explains in more detail:

http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Grain.htm

I use the Fuji Neopan line developed in Xtol 1:3.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/