Subject: [Leica] New Noct images - A walk in the woods
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sat Jun 26 12:19:48 2004

So Mark, you're saying that in order to criticize the images produced by
a particular lens I have to use that lens? Does that mean that in order
to critics, say, the use of a wide brush in creating a particular
painting I must myself paint, and use wide brushes? I'd suggest that one
can offer perfectly valid criticism of a given lens by observing the
images produced by it; if the images are consistently displeasing for a
consistent reason, obviously the problem is the lens, and not the
photographers using the lens.

Also, I have said repeatedly that I believe the Noctilux is a useful
lens under certain circumstances; in fact, there are times when it is
probably the only lens capable of capturing a particular image. I do
not, however, believe  that it even approaches being a useful, all
around "normal" lens, because it is anything but a "normal" lens.

But as I've also  said repeatedly, it's just my opinion - and I'm as
entitled to express it as all the folks who eeaxpress their opinion that
the Noctilux is the greatest piece of optical glass in which they've
ever invested. (And believe me, reading that over and over - and looking
at uninspiring snapshots taken with the $2500 lens, is a boring to me as
my comments are to them. ;-) )

B. D.