Subject: [Leica] declining quality now why are these illiterates evenadmitted to college
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat Jun 26 23:40:13 2004

Len,
I agree with you. I am in the UK. I believe the education "industry" is
the most important industry of all. It prepares the most important
resource the country has, its people.
I take issue, however, with the view that more and more people should
have a University education.
Our government seems to have a target of 40% of the population having a
University education, in the '50s it was around 5% I believe. Since the
average intelligence of the population has not much changed this
results in a dumbing down of entry requirements, course content and
eventual Graduate capability. The degree has less value. The education
requirements of job seekers has changed over the period but not enough
to prevent people today, who have a degree, doing exactly the same job
that they would have done in the past without a degree and on the same
pay. This results in massive financial hardship for young people.
I could go on....
Frank

Replies: Reply from ljkapner at cox.net (Leonard J Kapner) ([Leica] declining quality now why are these illiteratesevenadmitted to college)