Subject: [Leica] Agfa Scala [wasn't Noctilux bokeh or decline of writing]
From: Teresa299 at aol.com (Teresa299@aol.com)
Date: Sun Jun 27 11:25:40 2004

In a message dated 6/27/04 8:49:49 AM, jls@runbox.com writes:

<< >doesn't scan well at all.

You just said the magic words. Thanks for the feedback.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA >>

Depends what you're using it for.  I use it a lot for my glamour, goth,
fetish and fashion work.   I use dr5 lab in LA...here's what the expert says
of the
difference.  All I can say is that it scans fine for me....   With dr5 most
black and white negative films can be turned into transparencies...(for a
price).

SCALA & SCALA-X:

A great film for use in dr5! Scala is a very sharp, orthochromatic,
well-designed negative film for use in AGFA's Scala process.
Contrary to belief Scala is a B&W "NEGATIVE" film. SCALA film is an
orthochromatic clear-base film type. It runs better through the dr5 process.
It
produces a first-rate neutral in developer-1, and a 'milk-chocolate' sepia
in
developer-2. Tests have proven that dr5 produces a 10-15% better image &
DMAX
compared to the same film run through the AGFA-Scala process.

WHY IS SCALA BETTER RUN IN dr5? ? :
There are significant reasons this is true. The Scala process is a 'LIGHT'
reversal process. Light reversed film causes many hidden problems. While the
chrome looks great on the lightbox, it becomes impossible to reproduce i.e.;
color cross. The dr5 process is very different in procedure & chemically.
dr5 is
chemically reversed. dr5 produces better Dmax, tonal range, with no loss in
detail when pushing and a sharper image.

With all the other B&W films available @ less than 1?2 the cost, and most
produce better image quality, is the added cost of Scala film worth it? The
choice is yours. Scala has a medium tonal range with good detail in the
blacks and
whites in dr5. It has less depth than many of the other films, such as TXP &
FP4. It is similar to MACO-PO 100 film, also an ortho film.

Scala film run in the AGFA-process can be difficult to reproduce. If you
have
Scala-chromes run at an AGFA-lab and need then duplicated, an ortho film
should be used. Scanning should be done in grayscale. There have been no
problems
duplicating or scanning in RGB with Scala, run through dr5.

Shoot SCALA @ 200 ISO.The highest ISO for Scala film in dr5 is 400iso push
charges apply. It will pull to 50iso