Subject: [Leica] birdman question
From: ruben at rhodos.dk (Ruben)
Date: Mon Jun 28 09:06:12 2004

Question for the Birdman of Sacramento and other Birdyphiles

I saw somtething that I have not seen before this weekend. Unfortunatly I
did not bring my camera ! - but anyway - as I took the kids sailing on the
lake near my cottage in Sweden I wanted to show them a small Island were the
Fish Hawk (pandion halia?tus) used to nest when I was a kid my self.  The
Fish Hawk (probably the "grand-grand-daughter" of the Fish Hawk of my
childhood) had moved its nest to an even smaller Island just large eneugh to
"house" to rather weather beaten pine trees. From the boat we could see the
nest but not the young birds and we did not want to disdurb them by getting
to close. Soon from nowere the Fish Hawk appeared with its carracteristic
scream above us so we moved furtehr away from the Island only to discovver
that it was not at us it was screaming but at a Curmorant (Phalacrocorax
carbo) that had lifted from some nearby rocks and started chasing the Fish
Hawk. Every time the Curmorant had chased the Fish Hawk about 150-200 metres
they changed places and the Fish Hawk chased the Curmorant. This whent on
for about 20 minutes. Suddenly the Curmorant was in a hurry to get away and
about 5 minutes later the other part of the Fish Hawk couple returned from
the other side of the lake with fresh food and relived its spouse from
watching out for the Curmorant. Were they just teasing each other or would a
curmorant try to eat the young  Fish Hawks ?
I had no Idea that the Cumorant was such a skilled flyer - later when
returning to my home I drove along the cost in Denmark and over the sea a
Curmarant was flying along side my car at about 65 kilometres/hour - quit
fast for a strange looking bird. I am going to my cottage again in a couple
of weekends and will bring my tele lens and try to get som pictures of the
young Fish Hawks from a hide on the nearby Island.

Best regards and sorry for the lousy spelling

Ruben