Subject: [Leica] 50mm F1.4 redux, or on the need for speed.
From: feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio)
Date: Mon Jun 28 12:33:32 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-26 at 16:53, Slobodan Dimitrov wrote:
> Photographers are like crabs in a bucket, crawling over one another, every
> ready to undercut the other person.
> As far as a union is concerned, The Newspaper Guild used to handle the PJ
> photographers, but with very poor and weak representation. They've recently
> been absorbed by the CWA, Communication Workers of America, an AFL-CIO
> affiliate. The AP's shooters are all CWA. Somewhat like a shop union, you
> have to join when you start working.

> As far as the studio shooters are concerned, that's IATSI, usually referred
> to as IA. One becomes a member by shooting X amount of time on non-union
> jobs, that's right scab jobs, before one is qualified to be initiated into
> the IA.

I used to be in IATSE when I was working for Disney Feature Animation.
Are you saying that production photographers need to be in IATSE? I
thought they independent...

> Also, the producer is the one hiring you, and you own none of the work you
> produce, ever. As they represent the pinnacle, or at least own of the
> peaks,
> of the industry, they are proof that organized crime was never able to make
> inroads into the movie business. Was there supposed to be wink there? Naw!
> Maybe not.

Well, it sort of makes sense that the studio would own the negatives, if
you were hired to cover a production...The director of photography
shooting the movie doesn't get to take the negative home either. ;-)
Makes you wonder how Eve Arnold got to hold on to her negs, unless she
was hired under different circumstances.

Feli

Replies: Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] 50mm F1.4 redux, or on the need for speed.)