Subject: [Leica] 50mm F1.4 redux, or on the need for speed.
From: s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov)
Date: Sat Jun 26 17:00:38 2004

Photographers are like crabs in a bucket, crawling over one another, every
ready to undercut the other person.
As far as a union is concerned, The Newspaper Guild used to handle the PJ
photographers, but with very poor and weak representation. They've recently
been absorbed by the CWA, Communication Workers of America, an AFL-CIO
affiliate. The AP's shooters are all CWA. Somewhat like a shop union, you
have to join when you start working.
As far as the studio shooters are concerned, that's IATSI, usually referred
to as IA. One becomes a member by shooting X amount of time on non-union
jobs, that's right scab jobs, before one is qualified to be initiated into
the IA.
Also, the producer is the one hiring you, and you own none of the work you
produce, ever. As they represent the pinnacle, or at least own of the peaks,
of the industry, they are proof that organized crime was never able to make
inroads into the movie business. Was there supposed to be wink there? Naw!
Maybe not.
S. Dimitrov