Subject: [Leica] B&W Films/Developers
From: lists at heninger.org (Wade Heninger)
Date: Tue Jun 29 08:00:37 2004

> Today I loaded a roll of FP-4 into my camera and took off for Macon, GA.
> The only decent photo shop in town is Coke's so I paid them a visit.
> They didn't have X-tol, which I really wanted to try, and they were also
> out of Rodinal. On a whim, I bought a bottle of Edwal's FG-7......... a
> BAD mistake! When I left the store, I walked around and exposed the roll
> of film and then came home. When I developed the roll, it came out the
> clearest piece of film you've ever seen! Not even the leader - fully
> exposed to light - was developed! The developer has apparently gone bad
> and I should have guessed when it came from the bottle an orange color.
> I should have gotten Accufine or HC-110. But I didn't and now I can look
> forward to a return trip on Monday for either a refund or exchange. I
> won't be buying any more chemicals from them that don't have a
> reasonable turn over on the shelf.
> Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.................... :^(

FG7 has one of the longest shelf lives of any developer on the shelf.  Yes
the orange color should have scared you.

I've had great results with FG7 - very much like Xtol.  It's a fine grain
developer that mixes easier than anything else.

Acufine is great.

I really dislike HC-110.

Replies: Reply from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] B&W Films/Developers)