Subject: [Leica] Advice on monitors, computers & scanners needed
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue Jul 6 12:38:08 2004

I think all the super-computer G5's from Virginia Tech are gone (darn
it, should nabbed one just for historical purposes).

The dual-processor G5's are great and the mid-range machine is
probably your best bet. They can be loaded with memory -- and the one
thing that makes Photoshop happy is having lots of RAM to play with. I
think the new limit on memory is 8 GB - which will cost you more than
the computer. They also use the nifty serial ATA drives and you can
put 2 250 GB drives inside the box. Wow...you're on your way to being
Google! :)

You always hear people whining about the graphics cards in the Macs
(although not with the new NVIDIA card, egad) but for image work it's
just not a big deal. Dual processors though, that IS a big deal and I
note that Photoshop knows how to use them. Maybe not perfectly but
well.

And make sure you buy a machine that has the Apple iLife applications.
Nothing like using  your stills with iMovie to do pan/scan and iDVD to
make nifty disks to share. If you're into composing you can use
GarageBand and do the whole show. (I've tried - I don't have the skill
set to make GarageBand do anything other than go whomp whomp
whomp....of course people say that about my photography also).

My rule of thumb for buying a new machine is "5x real speed increase"
in the things I do which is Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, and DVD Studio
Pro. It'll be the next generation of Macs for me. But the new machines
ARE quiet - much quieter than the current 1.5 GHz dual processor
machine I have now whose fan bugs me.

Adam