Subject: [Leica] Re: OT - another horror story about photos and the Patriot Act
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Sat Jul 10 19:28:06 2004

Frank:

>See Ian Spiers' account of his interation with several local and federal
>law enforcement
>agents while trying to complete his 'motion' assignment for his photography
>class.  Scary
>disgusting.
>
>http://www.brownequalsterrorist.com/artiststatement/

Here's what I read:

Some busybody without a life of his own noticed the guy out taking pictures
and notes of the locks.  He phoned the police.

Given a tip and the current political situation, the police followed up.
Ian wasn't arrested.  Wasn't handcuffed.  Wasn't hauled down to the police
station.  Questioned.

If the police hadn't followed up the report of suspicious behavior, and
something happened to the locks, I'm fairly confident that previously
mentioned busybody would be calling the papers and shouting to anybody who
would listen, "I tried to warn the police!"

What did the police do that was wrong?

I've had the local police follow up on a tip and come pay me a visit.
Nothing earth shattering.  Just a misunderstanding by somebody not minding
his own business.  I invited the officer into my home, and we chatted.  He
played with my German Shepherd pup and gave me some tips from his experience
with them.  Given what the misunderstanding was, the police were obligated
to check me out.

Believe it or not, most police officers are people just like the rest of us.
They have a job to do and a paycheck to earn.  Not nearly a big enough
paycheck for having to carry a gun and be a target.  I wouldn't want to do
it.  :)

--
Eric
http://canid.com/