Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital M
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue Jul 13 23:45:44 2004

Hi Adam,
I was just a fan in the 1.5l days but I don't think the rpm ever
reached 15000, they did give over 200 bhp though. The film Grand Prix
was in the 1.5l era but not terribly accurate in a standard Hollywood
way!
The 3l cars started in 1966 I believe. There was a provision to allow
supercharged 1,5l units but nobody took it up until Renault in about
1977. Interestingly one of my university professors proposed a 1.5l
turbo alternative to Hesketh (via me) but his power predictions were so
high that Hesketh did not believe them. At that time a Cosworth DFV
gave about 480bhp, Neil Watson calculated 700bhp from the turbo. He was
proved right before his untimely death, we were racing with 1000bhp in
1987 using the 1.5l turbo.
Our current 3l engines give about 900bhp and can run to 19000rpm for a
limited period.
cheers
Frank