Subject: [Leica] Reality Check re: Digital vs Film vs Cost
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Wed Jul 14 08:58:28 2004

Maybe.
But in the last year or so, I have seen about 80% of the photographers I
(and my collegues) work with switching to digital, wether it is in mid or in
large format.
They all were talking about doing this for some years, but waited untill now
because quality wasn't good enough. These days it is: PhaseOne with
CaptureOne are equal (or better) to film.
Another reason why they switched was because clients asked for it: it
provides an enormous gain of time. During the shoot, you immediately can
make a first selection. After the shoot, you take the selected "low" res
jpegs with you on a CD-Rom to make the final selection. Final selection is
then processed and can go directly into lay-out and printing. You win about
3 to 5 days with it.
As a result, the range of pro film you can purchase over here has diminished
and 75% of the pro labs closed down due to lack of business.
I'm not saying I like this, but these are just hard facts.
I'm neither saying that technical costs shouldn't be payed any more BTW.

---