Subject: [Leica] Digital P&S purchase
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Jul 15 17:26:53 2004

John,
You have gotten little response on this so:
Low end but serviceable:
Fuji 330 fits the bill.  Typically sells in the $150 to $200 range, 3MP,
3X optical zoom, mostly automatic P&S.

Nikon 2200 sells in the same price range but is 2MP.  Offers a few more
camera controls so can sort of be used to control shutter and aperture.

Panasonic LS20 or something like that was one of Panasonics first
offerings.  Currently very cheap, good image quality but a little
brittle, perhaps over sharpened.

All of the above run on AA's and are quite pocket able.

Middle of the range:
Nikon 3200 sells around $200 to $250.  You get 3MP, 3X optical zoom,
standard camera modes as well as picture and scene modes.  The scene
modes are actually somewhat useful for sunsets and snow images.

Pentax Optio S40 sells in the $270 to $300 range.  Now you get really
small, 4MP, 3X optical zoom, easily findable histogram, framing grids,
real camera controls as well as scene and pictogram modes.  This model
offers a very good transition from viewing to taking modes.

The above cameras also run on AA's and are very pocket able.

Interesting outliers:
Fuji 5000 is a under $400 camera with a 10X optical zoom.  This one uses
Fuji's super CCD so provides a better picture than its 3MP rating would
lead you to believe.  Histogram, camera controls, sort of poor LCD
viewfinder, and a somewhat chunky size.

Sony WC1 offers 5MP and a really large LCD viewfinder.  Camera controls
but really should be viewed as a P&S.  Reasonably compact and selling
around $370.

I have shot images with all of these and they do a good job of turning
on reasonably quickly and taking a good image for a P&S.  I have left
out Canon's as they tend to be a little chunkier and a little pricier:
they do perform well as image takers albeit with a complicated menu
structure with functions under two different buttons that do different
things depending on what mode you are in.  I have had no luck with the
Minolta brand; this could be personal so if you find a Minolta at a good
price and it takes images for you then by all means proceed: I can't get
a Minolta to focus and take a sharp image for me, possibly residual envy
for a friend of mine in the early seventies.

YMMV

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com