Subject: [Leica] Photo student harassed in Seattle by Homeland Security
From: dpost at triad.rr.com (Dan Post)
Date: Sat Jul 17 06:59:49 2004

Frank-
I worked in the police department here for 22years, and I can tell you that
Police Officers are a cross section of the population.... They literally
fall on all points of the Bell curve.
If you can picture the character Patrick Star from the 'Spongebob
Squarepants' cartoon (Hey! I got a 3 year old grand-daughter! I'm allowed to
watch!), dress in a police officer's uniform, and going about armed, you get
the picture- and you don't need a Leica to see it!
That's why 80+ year old retired generals, carrying their Congressional Medal
of Honor in their pocket, are subjected to nearly having cavity searches
perform upon them, but middle eastern men between the ages of 19 and 35 are
not checked because that would seem like 'profiling'!
The story of the cancer patient who was wheelchair bound, weighed about 85
pounds, and was refused being allowed to board an airliner to go home
presumably to die, because the person no longer looked like their photo- ID;
There is a real lack of what my mother use to call Good Common Sense. You
are right, the spy will not use a 4X5 or 8X10 to take surreptitious photos.
That's why when I photograph sensitive things, I use the Minox and security
thinks nothing about it!
Best of light to you,
Dan